Central SA
Bloemfontein joins nationwide protest in fighting for justice for girl (7)─── ZENANDE MPAME 09:37 Wed, 02 Apr 2025

A nationwide outrage has been sparked after no arrests have been made after the alleged rape of a girl (7) at a school in the Eastern Cape in October last year.
A large group of students, men, women, and civil society groups gathered at Hoffman Square in Bloemfontein to call for swift action against those responsible for the alleged rape of a girl (7) in the Eastern Cape last year.
A memorandum of demands was handed to the Head of Department at the Free State Department of Education, Adv. Tsoarelo Malakoane, on Tuesday afternoon.
A nationwide protest was planned under the theme #JusticeForCwecwe in different cities in the country, where people gathered to fight for justice for the learner and to fight against gender-based violence.
“What has happened is not just a crime to Cwecwe, but it is a crime against the state, the state is an upper guardian of all minor children,” said HOD Malakoane. “This then requires that all men must stand up and be the torch bearers to fight against gender-based violence in all its forms.”
The 7-year-old was raped in October last year while waiting for her scholar transport on school property at Bergview College independent school in Matatiele in the Eastern Cape.
The National Police Commissioner, Gen. Fannie Masemola, has directed the Family Violence, Child Protection, and Sexual Investigations (FCS) unit to oversee and enhance the ongoing investigation amid widespread public outrage.
Protesters handed over a memorandum at the Free State Department of Education offices. Photo: Facebook/Free State Department of Education
No arrests have been made despite the young girl’s parents quickly reporting the incident to the police, which has angered activists and community members.
“What is happening today is that all organisations are demanding justice for Cwecwe who was brutally raped at a school in the Eastern Cape,” said EFF Youth Command and Justice South Africa media liaison officer, Warona Thapedi. “We are here to demonstrate that we are supporting the family and everyone who is behind Cwecwe.
“What we hope to see from the protest today is that the education department will thoroughly investigate the college and deregister the school.”
The South African Human Rights Commission has noted with deep concern the recent revelations in the matter of young Cwecwe and the commission calls on all relevant stakeholders – the police, the NPA, the Department of Social Development, and the Department of Basic Education – to utilise all available resources to uphold and protect the rights of children.