#HoërskoolDriehoek learners back at school following tragedy
OLEBOGENG MOTSE
12:32 Mon, 11 Feb 2019
#HoërskoolDriehoek learners back at school following tragedy | News Article
A sense of normalcy has returned somewhat to Hoërskool Driehoek in Gauteng this morning, as learning and teaching resumed today.


Chairperson of the School Governing Body (SGB), Jacques Marx, says the school is back on track, considering the circumstances. On Friday, February 1, the walkway linking two buildings at the school collapsed on top of learners as they were making their way from the morning assembly to classrooms. Three students lost their lives in the incident that Friday: 17-year-old Roydon Olckers, 13-year-old Jandré Steyn, and 13-year-old Marli Currie. On Sunday, February 3, grade 10 learner, Marnus Nagel, became the fourth learner to pass on following surgery that weekend. Marx tells OFM News that a memorial service will be held for the deceased later on today. Tents have been erected temporarily for schooling.

 For now, schooling is taking place in tents on the school grounds, while the school awaits a report from the Department of Labour on the infrastructure. Marx says this report will assist in charting a way forward, regarding fixing the problems with the school building.

The funerals of the deceased took place last week. Steyn was cremated on Thursday, February 7, while Currie, Nagel and Olckers’ funeral services took place on Friday, February 8, at separate venues.

The incident raised concerns about dilapidated school buildings throughout the country, most, notably Hoërskool Roodepoort which is believed to be at risk of a similar fate due to the instability of the school’s three storey building. It has been reported that eight classrooms at the school have been declared non-operational.


OFM News


Related Articles:

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more